Friday, December 30, 2005

Today, the 29th of December, 2005 will go down in my personal history as the day where I, an infinitesimal and paltry existence on this planet, meets Miyazaki Hayao, world renowned animator and master of the Ghibli Universe. No, I didn't see him at a premiere for a new animation film; nor was it at a press conference or anything of this loud, official nature; I meet him while he was on his way to work ( at Ghibli Studios in Musashino Koganei, not far from where I live ), driving pass my bicycle as I stopped at a junction, with one hand on the steering wheel and the other holding a cigarette, the smoke trailing from his vehicle as he drove away. I stood flabbergasted for a long time, anticipating Totoros to trod along too, but they did, in a way I guess, in the spirit of their brilliant inventor.

No comments: