Monday, July 23, 2001

"Special Packaging"

Kenji Kawai - he wrote pieces for Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor. Really nice pieces of music.
Recently, the airing of Hideo Nakata's "The Ring" once again prompted me to search for its
soundtrack, because a few tracks in the show were really moodsetters, great music. I had
previously searched for it when it was still in the theatres but apparently they weren't released
just yet. Anyway, so I was at HMV, japanese soundtrack section, and I found my cd. It had
the right title, visuals. Seems promising. Music by : Kenji Kawai. Bingo. This had got to be it.
No wonder I felt some of the tracks sounded similar to those in Ghost in the Shell. But I just
wanted to be sure, so I thought better try that cd first. Went to the counter, handed over the cd,
waited. The bespectacled guy with trails of highlighted hair examined the cd, then said insouciantly :
" Sorry, japanese cd, SPECIAL PACKAGING, no trying. " Huh ? I stared at the cd. Normal jewel
case, with those sealable plastic covers. Nothing so special. I asked : "Eem, but there's no special
packaging, like a special box, or something like that. " He replied liked a cassette tape playing back "
japanese cd, SPECIAL PACKAGING, no trying. " WHAT !!!???? I almost flew there and there, but kept
my cool. Its alright. Tried my luck upstairs. The lady at the counter greeted me with a smile and asked :
"You know you can try 2 cds at a time know. want to get another one ? " That made my day.
SPECIAL PACKAGING my foot !!!

No comments: